Protein powders, drinks & bars are some of the most popular dietary supplements.

Bạn đang xem: Whey protein isolate vs concentrate: what's the difference?

One of the most common types of protein found in these products is whey, which comes from dairy.

There are different types of whey protein, including whey isolate and whey concentrate.

This article explains the differences between these two common forms of whey protein & whether one is better to lớn use.

Share on Pinterest
Much of the protein found in protein bars, drinks and powders is derived from milk. When milk is processed to form cheese or yogurt, the remaining liquid is called whey (1).

This liquid contains the fast-digesting proteins commonly referred lớn as whey protein.

Before processing, about 20% of the protein in milk is whey và the other 80% is made up of the slower-digesting casein proteins (2).

Whey and casein are both considered high-quality proteins because they contain all the amino acids needed by your body toàn thân (3).

However, whey is considered particularly beneficial for increasing the production of new protein in your muscles (3).

There are several different types of whey protein used in supplements. Two of the most common forms are whey isolate và whey concentrate.

These forms are produced using different processing techniques và vary slightly in their nutritional content.

Summary Whey protein is the fast-digesting part of dairy protein. Different forms of whey protein supplements are available, with two of the most common being whey isolate & whey concentrate.

There are several nutritional differences between whey isolate and concentrate. These differences are caused by the processing methods.

When the liquid whey is collected as a by-product of cheese or yogurt production, it undergoes several processing steps khổng lồ increase its protein nội dung (1).

After a sufficient protein concentration is achieved, the liquid can be dried to size whey concentrate powder that consists of up lớn 80% protein by weight. The remaining 20% of the whey concentrate powder contains carbohydrates và fats.

If different processing steps are used lớn reduce the fat and carbohydrate content of whey, a whey isolate powder containing 90% or more protein by weight can be produced (1).

Overall, the processing steps used in the production of whey isolate result in higher protein content and lower fat & carbohydrate content per serving.

However, the types of amino acids found in both forms of whey are virtually identical, since they are derived from the same proteins.

The table below shows the key differences between a standard whey isolate và whey concentrate supplement per 100-calorie serving:

Whey IsolateWhey Concentrate
Protein23 grams18 grams
Carbs1 gram3.5 grams
Fat0 grams1.5 grams
Lactose Up lớn 1 gramUp khổng lồ 3.5 grams

In addition lớn having lower total carbohydrate content, whey isolate also has lower lactose content. This means that it could be a better choice for those who are lactose intolerant.

Xem thêm: Nhóm Trưởng Nhóm T - Tên Các Thành Viên Trong Nhóm T

Nevertheless, the amount of lactose in both forms of whey protein is likely khổng lồ be low enough for those who are lactose intolerant lớn use (4).

In addition lớn their nutritional differences, there are cost differences between these two types of whey. Generally, whey isolate is more expensive than whey concentrate.

While this makes sense based on the higher purity of whey isolate, taking a larger quantity of whey concentrate can bring you the same dose of protein, often at a lower cost.

Summary The main difference between whey isolate và concentrate is that whey isolate undergoes more processing, which results in a higher protein nội dung with less carbs, lactose & fat. Whey isolate is typically more expensive than whey concentrate.

Many studies support the beneficial effects of whey protein for active people (5).

One study in 192 exercising individuals found that taking whey protein supplements, including whey isolate or concentrate, led lớn improvements in lean mass and strength (6).

However, despite the minor differences in nutritional content, there is not strong evidence khổng lồ suggest that whey isolate và concentrate have different effects in your body.

In regards to lớn protein, one of the most important factors is your total daily intake. What’s more, it is often recommended that the majority of daily protein intake comes from high-quality sources such as dairy, eggs and poultry (5).

Both whey isolate và concentrate are high-quality proteins, and it is reasonable lớn expect that they will produce similar effects if an equivalent dose of protein is taken (3).

With that said, those who are limiting their fat, carbohydrate or lactose intake may prefer whey isolate since it is lower than whey concentrate in all three of these components.

It is also worth noting that many supplements contain a blend of proteins that includes both whey isolate and whey concentrate.

Summary Although research supports beneficial effects of whey protein for active individuals, there is not clear evidence for differences in the effects of whey isolate và whey concentrate.

Whey protein consists of several fast-digesting proteins và is a common ingredient in dietary supplements. Two common forms are whey isolate & whey concentrate.

Whey isolate undergoes different processing than whey concentrate, which results in the isolate containing more protein with less carbs & fat per serving.

However, these nutritional differences are small, & there is not strong support for different effects of these two types of whey protein.

Whey isolate may be a good choice for those who are carefully limiting their fat, carb or lactose intake, though this khung of whey is typically more expensive.

Taking a slightly higher dose of whey concentrate can result in getting the same total amount of protein as you would get from a whey isolate product, often at a lower cost.

Regardless of which type you use, whey is a high-quality protein that can help you reach your daily protein intake goals.